Starting PriceUS$ 850
Duration of Trips3 Days
Location: East Nepal
Type of Trip:
Max. Altitude:75 to 81m (246 to 266 ft)
Share this trip
koshi tappu wildlife reserve
Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is a protected area located in the Saptari and Sunsari districts of eastern Nepal. The reserve is defined by the eastern and western embankments of the Koshi River and is characterized by grassland vegetation with patches of scrub and deciduous forest.
What makes Koshi Tappu special is the variety of bird species that can be found here, with a recorded total of 439 species. Many of these birds are not found in other parts of Nepal, and some even fly all the way from Siberia during the winter months. The reserve is home to a wide range of waterbirds, including ducks, herons, storks, egrets, and ibis, which can be seen along the riverbanks.
In addition to its diverse birdlife, Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is also home to a variety of other animal species, including wild buffalo, wild boar, hog deer, spotted deer, blue ball, and jackal. The reserve is also home to one of the few elephant stables in Asia and is home to the endangered gharial crocodile and Gangetic dolphin. The best time to visit Koshi Tappu is between October and March.
Day 01Fly from Kathmandu to Biratnagar.
After arrival you will be presented brief introduction of the facility and program. This day's attractions include bird walk in the marshland outside the reserve to see the strokes, ibises, snipes, waterfowl, birds of prey etc. In the evening you can enjoy cultural program performed by local people. You stay overnight at lodge.
Day 02Full day excursion on boat and four wheels drive with packed lunch
After breakfast you set out for full day excursion on boat and four wheels drive with packed lunch to see waders, waterfowl, birds of prey, marsh crocodile, otters, wild water buffalo and Gangetic Dolphins including a visit to Pink Tower. Extra Day if you have time : Preceding a delicious breakfast you go for bird walk inside the reserve in the scrub forest, grasslands and wetland habitat with pack lunch to see swamp partridge, black necked stork, buntings, bulbuls etc. In the afternoon you can either continue bird watching or enjoy optional elephant ride to watch Arna the wild water buffalo, blue bull, hog deer, fishing etc.
Day 03Early morning you can either enjoy bird watching around the camp area or have leisure. After breakfast you depart for Kathmandu.
- Airport pickup and drop.
- Jeep safari / All jungle activities
- National park and conservation area permit & fees.
- All accommodations while safari including breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Highly experienced safari guide during the trip.
- Guide insurance and salary
- Domesttic fly from Kathmandu - Biratnagar
- Transportation by Jeep.
- Government Tax
- Accomudation, Lunch & Dinner during Kathmandu stay
- Any type of personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages and drinks, phone and laundry.
- Travel insurance, trip cancellation costs, accident or health emergency, evacuation, loss and personal effects.
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 40 (duration 60 days from date of issue) - you may easily issue the
visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport - Kathmandu.
- Tips & Gratuities.
Where is the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve located?
- The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is located in the eastern Terai region of Nepal. It is situated in the Sunsari, Saptari, and Udayapur districts, covering parts of the Koshi River basin.
What is the size of the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve?
- The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve covers an area of about 175 square kilometers (68 square miles). It is relatively small compared to other wildlife reserves in Nepal.
What is the significance of the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve?
- The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve holds significant importance as a protected area for the conservation of wetland ecosystems and the diverse flora and fauna associated with them. It is particularly renowned for being a crucial habitat for various bird species, including migratory birds. The reserve is also home to several endangered species, such as the wild water buffalo and the Gangetic dolphin.
What are the main features of the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve?
- The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is primarily characterized by its vast expanse of wetlands, which include mudflats, reed beds, freshwater marshes, and oxbow lakes formed by the Koshi River. These wetlands provide critical habitat for a rich variety of bird species, including waterfowl, waders, and raptors. The reserve also supports populations of wild water buffalo, hog deer, spotted deer, and other mammals, as well as reptiles and fish species.
How can I visit the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve?
- If you plan to visit the Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, here are some general steps to consider:
Permits: Obtain the necessary permits from the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation in Nepal or their local offices. They can provide information on the current entry fees and regulations.
Access: The reserve is located around 500 kilometers (310 miles) east of Kathmandu. You can reach the reserve by road or air. The nearest airport is in Biratnagar, and from there, you can hire a vehicle or take a local bus to reach the reserve.
Accommodation: The reserve offers various accommodation options, including lodges and tented camps. It's advisable to make reservations in advance, especially during peak bird-watching seasons.
Guided Tours: Consider hiring a local guide or joining an organized tour to explore the reserve. Local guides are knowledgeable about the bird species, wildlife behavior, and the best spots for observation.
Visitor Guidelines: Follow the guidelines provided by the reserve authorities, such as maintaining silence in bird-watching areas, not disturbing wildlife, and avoiding littering. Also, respect the local culture and communities.
Best Time to Visit: The winter months (November to February) are ideal for bird-watching, as many migratory birds arrive during this time. However, the reserve is open year-round, and each season offers unique wildlife experiences.
Nepal Wildlife Excursion
Bardia National Park is a protected area located in the Bardia district ...
Khaptad National Park is a beautiful and unique protected area located ...
Chitwan National Park is a protected area located in the central lowlands ...