Starting PriceUS$ 950
Duration of Trips08 Days
Type of Trip:
Max. Altitude:Karola (5,010m)
Share this trip
Tibet Overland Tour - 7/8 days
The Tibet Overland Tour is a breathtaking journey that takes travelers through the scenic landscapes and cultural wonders of the Tibetan Plateau. This extraordinary adventure allows visitors to experience the unique charm and spiritual essence of Tibet, as they traverse across high mountain passes, visit ancient monasteries, and immerse themselves in the rich traditions of Tibetan Buddhism.
The journey typically begins in Kathmandu, Nepal, where travelers make their way towards the Tibetan border. From there, they embark on a remarkable overland journey, driving through the rugged Himalayan terrain, which offers awe-inspiring views of snow-capped peaks, deep valleys, and picturesque Tibetan villages. One of the most renowned highlights of the Tibet Overland Tour is the drive along the Friendship Highway. This iconic route stretches for over 800 kilometers, connecting Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, with the Nepalese border. The highway winds its way through breathtaking landscapes, including the enchanting Gyatso La Pass, where travelers can catch a glimpse of the stunning turquoise waters of Yamdrok Lake.
As the journey continues, visitors have the opportunity to explore the ancient cities and cultural landmarks of Tibet. In Lhasa, the spiritual heart of Tibet, the iconic Potala Palace stands majestically atop Red Hill and offers an unforgettable glimpse into Tibet's rich history. The Jokhang Temple, another significant site, attracts pilgrims from all over Tibet and is a vibrant hub of religious activity. Travelers can also visit the sacred monasteries of Sera and Drepung, where they can witness the captivating monastic debates and immerse themselves in the peaceful ambiance of these revered institutions. These monasteries provide a unique insight into Tibetan Buddhism and its profound influence on the region's culture and way of life.
Throughout the journey, travelers have the opportunity to interact with the warm and welcoming Tibetan people, known for their deep spirituality and strong connection to their heritage. They can witness traditional Tibetan ceremonies, sample delicious Tibetan cuisine, and perhaps even engage in conversations with local monks and villagers, gaining a deeper understanding of their way of life. The Tibet Overland Tour offers not only stunning natural landscapes and cultural exploration but also the chance for self-reflection and spiritual rejuvenation. The tranquil atmosphere, coupled with the stunning vistas, allows visitors to find peace and tranquility amidst the grandeur of the Tibetan Plateau.
Day 01Kathmandu (1300) - Kerung Border (165 Km) 06-07 hours drive
Early in the morning scenic drive to Kerung Border (Nepal-Tibet Border) through the beautiful Nepalese countryside and after necessary border formalities at Nepalese immigration, an hour adventurous uphill drive by Bus & Van (normally) or 2 hour walks uphill (in case of landslide to Chinese immigration, check-in to hotel or Continue drive to Kerung. Stay overnight at Guest House.
Day 02Kerung - Tingri (4300m) / Lhatse (4,350m): 225 Km/244 Km
Day drive uphill to the highest plateau of the world with the typical view of Tibetan landscape offering sheer feeling of standing on the roof of the world. from where, weather permitting, breathtaking panorama of beautiful Himalayan ranges including Mt Cho Oyu (8201 M) & Mt Xishapagma (8012M) but dwarfed by the Vastness of the Tibetan plateau. From TINGRI, one can enjoy the magnificence of Mt. Everest (8,848 M). Stay overnight at Guest House
Day 03Tingri/Lhaste - Xigatse (3,900 M): 244 Km
Continue scenic drive crossing Over Gyatchu La (5,220M), the highest pass en route to Lhasa via Lhatse from where a road to Mt Kailash bifurcates to the west. Stay overnight at hotel.
Day 04Xigatse - Gyantse (3,950m): 90 Km
Morning sightseeing to the Panchen Lama's Tashilhumpu Monastery. Drive to Gyantse and visit to the Kumbum Stupa & Phalkor Monastery. Stay overnight the Hotel.
Day 05Gyantse - Lhasa (3,650m): 261 Km
Full day picturesque drive crossing over Karola (5,010m), Kambala (4,749m), Colorful Yamdrok-Tso Lake and the Tibetan lifeline river Brahma Putra (Yarlung Tsangpo) – Stay overnight at Hotel.
Day 06 / 07Sightseeing In Lhasa
Two full days sightseeing tour to Lhasa including Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Bazaar, And Potala Palace Drepung & Sera Monasteries. Stay overnight at Hotel.
Day 08Lhasa - Kathmandu
Early morning drive to Gonggar airport or train station for your departure flight to Kathmandu or to your onward destination to Mainland China.
- Airport Pickup/ drop service
- Hotel Accommodation on twin sharing basis
- Daily Breakfast
- Private Transportation by jeep/van as per the group size
- Necessary Tibet Travel Permit
- Sightseeing and Entrance fee as per the itinerary
- English speaking Tibetan guide
- All the Government and local taxes.
- China/Tibet Visa Fee
- Fly ticket from Lhasa to Ktm or other destination
- Hotel in Kathmandu
- Self Lunch and Dinner during the tour
- Travel Insurance
- Personal expenses like beverage, mineral water and tips
- Natural and political disturbance and unforeseen circumstance
Note: Departure from Kathmandu every Saturday
Which route is recommended for an overland tour: Kathmandu to Kerung to Lhasa or Lhasa to Kerung to Kathmandu? Especially considering high altitude concerns.
- Either route is suitable. Both routes have their own advantages, and the high altitude concerns can be managed with proper acclimatization and precautions. Best to do Kathmandu to Kerung to Lhasa.
What is your suggestion for applying for a China visa (to visit Tibet) from the travelers' home country?
- It is better to apply for the China visa from your home country. We can provide the necessary and supportive documents to facilitate the visa application process.
Is it difficult to send the Tibet Travel Permit to China mainland cities like Beijing, Chengdu, or Kunming?
- It is not difficult. We can send the Tibet Travel Permit to any city where you will be staying overnight, including airports if you have a same-day flight to Lhasa, Tibet.
How can payment or deposit be made?
- Payment or deposit can be made through bank transfer or in cash. Please choose the option that is most convenient for you.
How difficult is it to obtain a Tibet group visa from Kathmandu?
- Obtaining a Tibet group visa from Kathmandu takes around 4 days to process the visa at the Chinese embassy, and each traveler's biometric data is required, so they need to be physically present at the embassy in Kathmandu. A minimum of 4 persons is required to apply for a Tibet group visa.
Have flights from Kathmandu to Tibet resumed?
- As of now, flights from Kathmandu to Tibet have not resumed.
Is there a direct flight from my country to Tibet?
- No, there are no international flights directly to Tibet, except from Kathmandu, Nepal. However, even the Kathmandu route is not currently operational. To travel to Tibet, you would need to fly to China mainland cities like Beijing, Chengdu, or Kunming from your country and stay overnight there to receive the Tibet travel permit. The next day, you can take a flight to Lhasa, Tibet.
Is a Tibet travel permit required to fly to Tibet?
- Yes, a Tibet travel permit is required to enter Tibet. We will provide the permit based on your itinerary and places of stay.
What is the issue of high altitude in Tibet?
- The high altitude in Tibet can pose some challenges. It is recommended to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and taking adequate rest. Oxygen cylinders are always available in the vehicles during the tour as a precautionary measure. So, there is no need to worry, but it is important to be mindful of the altitude.
Is it possible to visit China mainland cities with a Tibet group visa?
- Yes, it is possible to visit China mainland cities with a Tibet group visa.
Will the vehicle be shared or private?
- The vehicle provided will be private.
Is it possible to have a full meal plan? Will the meals be served in the hotel or outside?
- Yes, it is possible to arrange a full meal plan. The Lunch and Dinner can be served in the outside restaurant.
Could you please confirm whether a Tibetan guide or Chinese guide will be provided?
- A Tibetan guide will be provided for the tour.
What are the luxury accommodation options in Tibet?
- In Lhasa and Shigatse, there are 5-star luxury hotels available. In Shegar/Tingri and Gyirong, accommodations are available up to 3-star standards. In Rongbuk, only guesthouses are available.
Is it possible to visit Ganden Monastery and Samye Monastery on the same day?
- No, Ganden Monastery requires an additional day. However, Samye Monastery can be visited while dropping off at the airport on the last day.
Is it possible to do the Namtso Lake excursion in one day?
- Yes, it is possible to complete the Namtso Lake excursion in a single day.
Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan Tour
A combined Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour offers an extraordinary opportunity ...
The Nepal and Bhutan tour is a mesmerizing journey through two enchanting ...
Experience the best of Nepal and Tibet with our combined tour, designed ...