Starting PriceUS$ 975
Duration of Trips4 Days
Location: West Nepal
Type of Trip:
Max. Altitude:174 to 1,386m (4,547 ft).
Share this trip
Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve
Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve (1,386 m), situated in the southwestern region of Nepal, is a protected area known for its vast grasslands and sal forests. Covering an area of 155 square kilometers, the reserve is aptly named "phanta," meaning grassland in Nepali. Its open grasslands and numerous waterholes provide an ideal habitat for a variety of wildlife, making it a perfect destination for game viewing and jungle safaris.
Located in the Kanchanpur district of Far-Western Nepal, the reserve holds significant importance for grassland wildlife conservation. It is home to a large population of swamp deer, as well as threatened species such as the hispid hare, Bengal florican, and swamp francolin. While there is a wildlife camp located on the outskirts of the reserve, it's important to note that visitor facilities are currently limited.
To access Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve, visitors have two options. One can drive to Mahendranagar and then travel approximately eight kilometers south to reach the reserve headquarters. Alternatively, visitors can fly from Kathmandu to Dhangadi and then proceed to the reserve by road, passing through Mahendranagar.
Day 01Fly from Kathmandu to Dhangadi Airport and drive from to Suklaphanta.
Day 02Full day activities in Suklaphanta Wildlife Reserve.
You set out for village tour to a nearby ethnic Tharu village where you will learn more about the life and lifestyle of the Tharus. You enjoy dinner and overnight stay here.
Day 03Full activities in Suklafanta Wildlife Reserve.
You enjoy bird watching and further proceed for elephant Safari. An excellent opportunity to see Asian Elephant, Great One Horn Rhinoceros, Spotted Deer or Chital, Hog Deer, Barking Deer, Samber, Swamp Deer or Barasingha, Nilgai or Bull, Black Buck, Wild Boar, Royal Bengal Tiger, Leopard, Wild Dog, Golden Jackal, Striped Hyena. You will also encounter many other smaller mammals that have made Bardia their home. Next you start jungle walk. An excellent opportunity to see the wild animals, small mammals, birds and waits in the Tower to have the wild sightseeing, accompanied by our experienced naturalists and wild life tracker. Excellent photographic opportunities are plentiful. You conclude the day by Tharu cultural dance and delicious dinner.
Day 04This day’s activities include bird watching and Jeep driving into the jungle. Next you depart for Kathmandu.
- Pick up and drop off transport as mentioned in the itinerary
- Accommodation and three meals per day during the tour
- English spoken jungle tour guide
- Entrance fees and government royalties
- All kind of jungle activities as mentioned in the itinerary
- Welcome drinks, Jungle Jeep Safari
- Visit Tharu village, suspension bridge
- Domestic air ticket and airport tax
- Accomudation in Kathmandu
- International air ticket, airport tax and Nepal visa fees
- All kinds of drink during tour and travel with us
- Travel insurance and the cost of medical services of tourists
- All kinds of cloth and personal belonging
- Other personal expenses and tips
Where is the Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve located?
- The Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve is located in the Kanchanpur district of far-western Nepal. It lies in the Terai region, which is the lowland plains along the southern border of Nepal.
What is the size of the Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve?
- The Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve covers an area of approximately 305 square kilometers (118 square miles). It is one of the smallest wildlife reserves in Nepal.
What is the significance of the Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve?
- The Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve is of great ecological importance as it protects a diverse range of flora and fauna. It is particularly renowned for its efforts in conserving the endangered Bengal tiger and the swamp deer (also known as the barasingha), which are its flagship species. Additionally, the reserve serves as an important habitat for various other wildlife species, including elephants, leopards, wild boars, and numerous bird species.
What are the main features of the Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve?
- The Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve features a unique Terai ecosystem, characterized by grasslands, riverine forests, and wetlands. The reserve is intersected by the Mohana and Chaudhar rivers, which add to the diverse habitat. The grasslands of Shukla Phanta are home to the largest population of swamp deer in Nepal, making it a critical conservation area for this species.
How can I visit the Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve?
- To visit the Shukla Phanta Wildlife Reserve, you need to obtain the necessary permits and follow certain guidelines. Here are the general steps:
Permits: Contact the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation in Nepal or their local offices to obtain the required permits for visiting the reserve. They can provide information on the current rules and regulations.
Access: The reserve is accessible by road from various cities in Nepal. The nearest major city is Dhangadhi, which is well-connected by air and road transport. From Dhangadhi, you can hire a vehicle or take a local bus to reach the reserve.
Accommodation: There are basic accommodation options available within the reserve, including forest rest houses and tented camps. It's advisable to make reservations in advance.
Local Guides: It is recommended to hire a local guide or join an organized tour to enhance your experience and ensure compliance with park regulations. Local guides are knowledgeable about the area and can help you spot wildlife.
Visitor Guidelines: Follow the guidelines provided by the reserve authorities, such as maintaining a safe distance from wildlife, not littering, and respecting the tranquility of the environment.
Jungle Safari in Nepal
Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is a protected area located in the Saptari ...
Bardia National Park is a protected area located in the Bardia district ...
Khaptad National Park is a beautiful and unique protected area located ...
Chitwan National Park is a protected area located in the central lowlands ...